Miss Catherine Gurney
Through her work with the International Christian Police Association Miss Catherine Gurney established the Police Seaside Home and the Provincial Police Orphanage in Hove, East Sussex in 1890. Having twice outgrown the accommodation in Hove the orphanage moved to Redhill, Surrey in 1895 and became the Southern Provincial Police Orphanage. Shortly before her death, on 11 August 1930, Miss Gurney was awarded the OBE.
The Orphanage c 1934
The reduction in numbers attending led to the closure of the orphanage in 1947 and the replacement of its work by the Gurney Benevolent Fund.
In 1948 The Gurney Fund came into being to provide allowances for the children of deceased or incapacitated police officers. At a General Meeting in November 1978 approval was given to amend the Fund’s title to The Gurney Fund for Police Orphans the use of which continued until the Gurney Benevolent Fund and The Gurney Fund for Police Orphans were merged to form the incorporated charity The Gurney Fund on 1 October 2014.